Things To Do In Southampton
Why We Love Southampton
So many weird, wonderful and hugely competitive activities for visiting groups to dive into.
The city is packed with great eateries, bars and kitchens from tasty brunches to post-pub feasts.
It has history.
Southampton has heaps of historic and quirky facts and sites making it a great place to go explore.
How To Get Around Southampton
Southampton isn't the largest of cities, the city centre can easily be danced across on foot, the best venues can all be found in the city centre.
Southampton doesn't have a public bike scheme. If you're looking to go further afield there is a bus or train service and handy Journey Planner.
One of the most popular things to do in Southampton is hop on a ferry or cruiser and take a day trip to explore a nearby destination or sight.
Things To Do In Southampton At Night
Southampton doesn't carry the party reputation of nearby destinations like Bournemouth, it's an altogether more grown-up city with a large naval and military population. Among the many things to do in Southampton at night, dining is a top choice, with a variety of exceptional restaurants dotted about. Party people can hit the clubs or there's a buzzing music scene as well as comedy venues if you're in a funny kind of mood!
To Do List
Things to Do In Southampton
Having already made your shortlist of activities in Southampton, here's a lowdown of other attractions and must-sees to make the most of your time on the coast.
- Titanic Trail - The city is forever linked with the infamous ship and maps are available from tourism offices and stands, showing the major sites connected to the voyage.
- Old Town - Has been home to a number of famous residents dating back to William the Conquerer, William Shakespeare, Jane Austin and more.
- Ocean Village - Grab some fresh sea air with a trip along this waterfront retail park with an array of great al fresco bars, cafes and restaurants.
- Shopping - Along with OC and the Beatnik Emporium, you'll find Westquay Shopping Centre, IKEA, and heaps of indie stores making the city a shopper's paradise.
- Beer Tasting - Just tasting one beer? That's not how the revolution starts! You need to expand, experiment and Southampton has a great beer tasting venue.
- Lunch - That might sound obvious ("Of course we'll eat!") but Southampton is awash with top-notch eateries making it one of the most enjoyable things to do in Southampton.
- Beatnik Emporium - If you love vintage you'll love the Emporium. Packed with bags, shoes, clothes, records and a whole heap of weird and wonderful once loved treasures.
- Theatre - The 2,000 seater Mayflower Theatres is one of the UK's most stunning venues and has hosted the biggest shows such as Les Mis and Hairspray.
- Waterports - The city was built on its nautical heritage so it's the perfect opportunity to get all at sea with some awesome watersports adventures.
- Hit the Slopes - Forget those scratchy outdoor mats, this colossal indoor centre has real snow. Yes, real snow, indoors! It's witchcraft, we tells ya!
3 Weird Southampton Facts
- Clarence Birdseye tested his new creation, cod sticks wrapped in breadcrumbs, on Southampton shoppers. Tasters gave it a thumbs up and 15 billion have since been sold!
- Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the internet) still spends time as a professor at Southampton Uni. Without him, you wouldn't be reading this.
- The Titanic set sail on its tragic maiden voyage from Southampton. Nearly half the ships crew were Southampton residents.
Best Bits of Southampton
Netley - With its village feel it's like a separate enclave with great views and historic sites to explore.
Ocean Village - This marina and retail area is the city's favourite summer spot with an excellent selection of bars and alfresco diners to enjoy the sea air.
West End - A great area for sports fans with a wide choice of activities in Southampton for you to dive into.
Bassett - By day, you'll find more great sporting challenges and adventure, by night, the gloves come off, the party pants go on for the mainly student residents.
Portswood - Trendy, loved by students, slightly bonkers, the area has a great nightlife with cool bars, clubs and even a hobbit themed pub!?!