Things To Do In Munich
Why We Love Munich
It has the biggest beer festival in the world. There are even special beer laws! Munich is beer obsessed!
This region of Germany produces some great food for dedicated foodies hungry groups to get stuck in.
Forget the 'boring' German tag, Munich is all about having fun with some of Europe's best activities and challenges.
How To Get Around Munich
Munich's U-Bahn underground train network is clean, cheap and always on time, making it a great way to get about.
As well as underground trains there are buses and trams. Get a travelcard for unlimited travel over a set time period.
Feeling fit? Thinking green? Make your trip more eco-friendly by jumping on a public bike available across the city.
Things To Do In Munich At Night
Going to Munich and not trying the beer? Well that's just rude! If you are going to sample the city's most prized export then one of the most fun ways is at a Bierkeller. With live music, fun hosts and fantastic food it's a great way to soak up the culture... and the beer. Munich has other great food options with top quality eateries from fine dining restaurants to street food. Our big recommendation is to try the currywurst but get it from a street vendor, that's where the locals go. If you're still looking for more things in Munich to do at night then the club scene and live music venues are both a big draw.
To Do List
Things to Do In Munich
Ask a local for the best things to do in Munich and they'll hand you a beer and smile. And while beer is a Munich obsession there is so much more to this great city.
- Midnight Bazaar - A totally different kind of experience for shopaholics, the bazaar opens at 5pm, then, with a funky soundtrack, you can haggle for heaps of vintage and retro goodies.
- BMW Museum - Home of the famous mark, and one of our favourite activities in Munich, you can learn about BMW at their headquarters' museum.
- Beer Raft Party - Head downriver on a giant 22-tonne log raft with a BBQ, band and beers. A totally bonkers day.
- Get Naked - In the city's well maintained English Garden you can paddle a boat, kick a ball, throw a frisbee, drink beer or even sunbathe in the nude. And people do.
- Currywurst - It simply has to be done. It's the best local delicacy but buy it from a street vendor rather than a restaurant, it's what the locals do and a more authentic taste.
- Museum of Technology - Let's face it, if anyone is going to get this right it would be the Germans and this museum is quite simply brilliant!
- Brewery Tour - Go behind the scenes to enjoy samples and insider knowledge from the pros before heading home to brew your own.
- Urban Golf - Golf just got cooler. Forget Pringle sweaters and creased trousers, golf is about to hit da streetz and it's for realz, man!
- Beer Tasting - Why just stick to one beer when you can sample several local brews with an expert guide to lead the way?
3 Weird Munich Facts
- The city's oldest building is actually a toilet which dates back to 1260.
- The BMW factory is considered such a special part of the city it has its own postcode.
- Munich has over 60 beer gardens. It's enough to get you feeling all horticultural!
Best Bits of Munich
Altstadt (Old Town) - The impressive Bavarian architecture: cobbled streets are home to some great shops, cafes and restaurants and well worth a visit both in the day and evening.
Schwabing - Clubs, cafes, bars, Schwabing is where the locals come to party. The day after the café culture is a good way to caffeinate any tender heads.
The French Quarter - A pretty area of the city with relaxing riverside walks, there are a few choice restaurants but this is a more genteel area.
Maxvorstadt - With two universities this trendy, student populated area has a young, buzzing vibe along with plenty of laidback bars and easy eateries. There are also a number of museums and galleries.
Glockenbach - The centre of the city's LGBT community, the area has some great bars, clubs and cafes, it's close to the city centre but doesn't charge the city centre prices, making it a good budget choice.